Tuesday, 27 December 2016

DIY. Creative with pinecones.


I got a box containing two pots of birdseeds for my birthday. There were some pinecones added to the package too. Maybe to challenge me a bit! The idea is to put the birdseeds on the pinecones, so the birds can feast of this tasty meal. I can already visualize it.

But where to put these cones? Preferably at a spot close to the house like, for instance, in front of the kitchen window. Unfortunately, there is no tree to hang the pinecones in at this spot.

But I have a solution. The other day I cut a branch from the walnut tree. Because of lack of time I have not yet cleared it. That comes in handy now. I put the big branch against the yew hedge and tie it with some wire to the hedge. Perfect!

Having solved that issue, I start to work on the birdfeed. It is a rather fiddly job to get the greasy paste out of the pot with a knife and smear it between the pinecones. Impatient as I am I wonder cannot this be done quicker?

That is why I try to do it with my hands. I grab the greasy paste out of the pot and squeeze it into the pinecone right away. That works a lot better. After having fixed one cone, I go outside to hang the pinecone in the branch to see how it looks. However, to get outside I have to open two doors ....... with my greasy hands and next I take some pictures ……again with my greasy hands .........

It's a great job for the Christmas holidays. But think twice before you are going to do this with your (grand) children .....

Because if you do it the same way I did you can immediately start with the spring-cleaning!



First I tie the walnut branch to the hedge.


It is a fiddly job to smear the paste into the pinecone.


It looks really nice.


I hope the birds will like it too.


The final result.


The next day......


........Blue Tits come and go!


They are so pretty.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Hetty, great job and it looks lovely, too. I am sure the birds are appreciating your effort! The blue tits are very pretty, indeed!
    Warm regards,
    Christina

    ReplyDelete
  2. A great idea welcomed by the birds, Hetty. They look quite festive too!
    Thank you for linking up with the Floral Friday Fotos meme.

    ReplyDelete
  3. He-he :)
    Pretty pinecones and lucky birds!

    ReplyDelete