Rejuvenating old-fashioned roses.


Two years ago, I pruned a large Ligustrum hedge back to ground level. Consequently the rose that leaned ever so gracefully against that hedge, found support no longer. With every gust of wind the rose swept back and forth. Obviously, the rose had to be pruned too.

But how! There are many opinions to prune old-fashioned, once flowering roses. I was a bit in a dilemma:
1. Should I prune out only a few branches?
2. Cut the roses back halfway?
3. Or like the hedge, cut it back to the ground?

To make up my mind, I asked an English head gardener for advice. As he was one of the cautious types, he advised to cut out one single branch only every year. But then it would take ever so long to cut all the branches!

So I fell back on my "inner voices" for advice. My bold inner voice told me: "Prune to the ground Hetty!" The thoughtful one told me: “Prune only half way, prune half way!”

Eventually my thoughtful voice won this battle. I pruned the rose back to about 50 cm. I waited anxiously; would the rose sprout again? And even more important, would the rose be flowering next year!

I can tell you, the rose is flowering beautifully again. It flowers like nothing has happened. In hindsight I should have listened to my "bold voice" and cut the rose back to ground level.

The lesson learned from this rose adventure: In case you want to rejuvenate your old- fashioned roses, prune after flowering. (End of June)

And especially for advice, listen to your inner voice (s).


The garden is opened to the public June 24 and 25 see link below.


romantischerozentuin



The rose Mme Legras de St. Germain. Just for the name you would like to have her.


Rose buds. I see many!



2014. I have pruned the hedge.


2015. I have pruned the rose too.


2016. The rose is flowering again.


Lovely shrub.



Comments