Day dreaming; Sissinghurst Castle.


Unfortunately, the picture above is not from my garden. It is a picture taken at the garden of Sissinghurst Castle; the garden of Vita Sackville-West, the English writer. Probably it is the most photographed garden of the world.

I visited Sissinghurst Castle some years ago. We arrived at the end of a beautiful summer’s day. Most visitors had already left. There was a serene atmosphere.

The garden is divided into garden rooms. High hedges and beautiful old garden walls are separating the sections from each other. The white garden is the most famous one. As you might have guessed, only white flowers and grey-leaved plants are planted in this section. At the time I arrive, the white rose in the middle of the garden is in full bloom. The evening light creates an unforgettable picture.

I walk through the garden in the evening sun. I am amazed how beautifully plants are combined together. I try to understand why the combinations in this garden work so much better than in my own garden. Hopefully I will be able to use some of the ideas.

In the end, I climb the tower. In a niche, behind an iron gate, the room in which Vita wrote her books and columns can be seen. On her desk is a small bouquet of flowers. It looks like if she just left for a moment.

From behind me an attendant climbs the stairs. With an old set of keys he opens the iron gate to Vita's room. "Is it open?" I ask surprised. "Sorry," he says, "I would love to, but they probably will kill me if I did."

Too bad, I would have loved to have a closer look. Daydreaming of writing my blogs over there......

Then again, better continue writing in my attic room. Because with a garden like that, I would never find the time to write something for you!




The white garden.


At the end of the day....


.... most visitors had left. 


Contrast, round and upwards growing plants.


I try to learn something of all these combinations.


From the tower .........


........ you can see the different garden rooms.


A more informal part of the garden. Huge roses!


The old buildings are a bonus.


To have a view like that. 


Comments

  1. Dear Hetty, I so enjoyed your post about Sissinghurst. I have visited this garden three times in my life and it is truly magical. As you said the plant combinations that they do there are fantastic. You have been so lucky to visit at a time when most visitors had left and you got some amazing photos of the White Garden. Now I start dreaming, too...
    Warm regards,
    Christina

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for joining the party at http://image-in-ing.blogspot.com/2016/02/the-walls-of-san-juan.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. So lovely!
    http://travelingbugwiththreeboys-kelleyn.blogspot.com/2016/03/4-days-in-anchorage.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful pictures from a lovely garden.
    Have a nice weekend.
    Marika

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment