Narcissus. You' re so vain.


As I look out from the kitchen window this Friday morning, I see a puddle in the garden. I'm not the least surprised, because it's been pouring all night. I sprint to the living room to see if there is more flooding.

It’s even worse. The tulips are up to their necks in the water. And my first crinoline daffodil in a puddle of water. Seeing my daffodil in that huge puddle and effectively staring at its own reflection, reminds me of the story of Narcissus:

"One day, Narcissus came to a sacred pond. He decided to take a rest and quench his thirst with the water there. As he bents over, he sees his reflection in the water, but he thinks it is a beautiful spirit that lived in the pond. So he sits there, staring in admiration at this appearance. He fell in love with himself.
He was not able to look away from the water. He stopped eating and drinking. So Narcissus pined away and died altogether. All that remained was a flower, which we still now as Narcissus."

This story is usually illustrated with a group of daffodils next to a quietly flowing river. Never in a huge water puddle as in my garden today!

I have to save my narcissus from admiring his reflection too much. So I grab my wheelbarrow and a bucket and start to bail out the water from my garden.

I've had my workout that day. I have carried out at least 30 wheelbarrows of water.

Fortunately my daffodil is in dry conditions again!



Archive photo. Narcissus 'Spoirot'.


My first Narcissus in a huge puddle .........


.....staring at its reflection in the water. 


After hours of hard labour, he is dry again.


I expect more rain coming.


The well is filled with water.


Next day.  This farmer is cleaning the drainage pipes to keep the land dry.


New followers a warm welcome.

Comments

  1. Dear Hetty, I am sorry to hear about the flooding in your garden! I know flooding can be so destructive to the plants. But you are a woman of action and hauled the water out of your garden to rescue the plants, I really admire you for that. I can imagine that it was very hard on your body, but so worth is for the poor Narcissus (lovely variety, by the way). Hopefully you don't get more torrential rains.
    Warm regards,
    Christina

    ReplyDelete
  2. You saved the day ... and your lovely little crinoline narcissus! Such a little gem! We have had so much rain here in the UK that the ground is absolutely waterlogged. Other areas have had flooding but we have escaped so far.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Daar komt dus ook het woord narcisme vandaan...
    Jij hebt in ieder geval nog meer uitdrukkingen in de praktijk gezien:
    pompen of verzuipen
    twee emmertjes water halen, twee emmertjes pompen
    het water aan je lippen voelen
    waterlanders (die je toch zou krijgen als dit water op je eigen land ziet- even een doordenker ;-)
    Enfin, laten we ook hopen op: na regen komt zonneschijn! Kan je narcisje weer helemaal schitteren, maar dan zonder spiegel...
    Oja, ik kwam erachter dat ik me nog niet had aangemeld als volger. Om maar in de spreuken te blijven: ouderdom komt met gebreken...;-))
    Liefs, Peetje

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment