Planting roses step by step.


My garden looks very spacious now all the boxwood has gone. That gives me plenty possibilties to plant new roses!

Last week’s I have been checking out the website of Tuincentrum Lottum endlessly.  (www.tuincentrumlottum.nl) What a gorgeous roses they have on sale. Finally, after a lot of deliberation, I made up my mind which roses I wanted to have.

I called the garden centre and ordered the roses I selected. After that I went straight into the garden to dig the holes for the roses , because this company tends to deliver already the next day. A perfect situation for an impatient garden woman like me.

Indeed, the postman delivered a big box full of rose bushes the next day. I took the roses out of the box and left them a few hours in a large tub of water to “drink”.

In the meantime, it started to rain very heavily, and I did not fancy working in the muddy clay. So, I put the roses in one of the holes and covered it with soil. I believe this is called heeling in. By doing so the roses do not suffer from being not planted immediately.

A few days later, the weather had improved and I was ready to plant.

How to plant roses step by step :
1 Dig a big hole
2 Put on some potting soil
3 Put the rose in the hole, spreading the roots
4 Another layer of potting soil
5 Put crumbled soil in the hole.
6 Stamp the ground with your shoe
7 Take care that the bud union is a few cm below the level of the ground
8 Water the roses


And then……, this impatient garden woman has to wait until June to see if these roses are just as beautiful as on the pictures......

                                   Open garden days, click here:     





Roses in the box

Give the roses a drink

Heel them in if you don't have time to plant.

Potting soil on the bottom, spread the roots.

Add more potting soil

Add  crumbled soil

Water the roses

Comments