Deadheading tulips.




Every day I walk through the garden with my basket to deadhead the tulips. Because of that, the colour in the border is changing. First the border was pastel pink, after that these tulips were deadheaded,  the border had a different, brighter color. Nice! That is something to take notice of when I order my tulpes next year.

Deadheading tulips is a form of energy saving. By breaking down the flower, the bulb can not waste energy to seed formation. All the power goes to the bulb. I hope this results in a lot of flowers next year.

Deadheading tulips is simple. Keep the tulip in your hand and break it off just below the flower. Please note that all petals are cleared. If the leaves become moldy, that does not benefit the bulb, so I am learned.

Tulip growers deadhead their tulips too. Only this is not done by hand, but with an ingenious machine. No back pain! I can’t help it, but I always think, what a waste. All those beautiful flowers thrown carelessly in the paths.

The most frequently asked question in my garden: what will happen to all your bulbs now?

I leave the bulbs in the ground. The tulips stems are overgrown by perennials. The stems can die unseen. In autumm I plant new bulbs, about 30% to be assured sufficient bloom.

A few more days and then it's all over with those bright colors. I am not sad, soon there is something else to flourish. I have seen  columbines, bearded irises and Alliums emerge. And this morning, buds in the roses. The show must go on!


In the basket, flowerheads.


The border Pink colors

The same spot, brighter colors

Deadheading tulips with an ingenious machine

Deadheading tulips by hand

After the tulips, hundreds of Alliums emerge.

 

Comments